About the MPA
Today, U.S. films are shown in more than 150 countries worldwide and American television programs are broadcast in over 125
international markets. The U.S. film industry provides the majority of home entertainment products seen in millions of homes
throughout the world.
The MPA was formed in 1945 in the aftermath of World War II to reestablish American films in the world market, and to respond to the rising tide of protectionism resulting in barriers aimed at restricting the importation of American films. The MPA’s name was changed from the Motion Picture Export Association of America to the Motion Picture Association in 1994 to more accurately reflect the global nature of audiovisual entertainment in today’s international marketplace.
Since its early days, the MPA, often referred to now as “a little State Department,” has expanded to cover a wide range of foreign activities falling in the diplomatic, economic, and political arenas. The Motion Picture Association conducts these activities from its headquarters in Los Angeles, California and from key offices in Washington, D.C.; Brussels; Sa~o Paulo; Singapore; and Toronto.
The MPA also contributes to the international film industry by sponsoring such awards as the MICHEL D’ORNANO AWARD, created in the early 90’s by the MPA member companies to honor French screenwriters and film distributors.