Asia Pacific Technology Initiatives
Today only 16% of movie revenues come from the cinema. The remaining whopping 84% stems from the home environment -- via
DVD and VCD, pay-TV and free-to-air TV.
In Asia, as in other parts of the world, consumers are actively exploring digital and Internet platforms to watch TV and movies. Consumers want content delivery to be fast, secure and reliable. They want quality content they can control and some ability to network it within their homes, to their cars, mobile phones, or portable devices.
Content providers have an opportunity to deliver what consumers want. As such the effective distribution of digital content in Asia is critical for the entire industry. MPA and our member companies have been at the forefront promoting new standards, devices and platforms.
The MPA has historically been pro-active in technology, starting with the conversion of still to moving pictures. Now, we transform ourselves again with fast and secure digital Internet delivery. We participate in standards organizations worldwide to improve digital platforms. Many would argue that our movies drive technological change.
However, we must at the same time realize this is only possible when content is protected.
Piracy is a significant factor which impacts our industry. The industry segments affected include producers, distributors,
theaters, video stores and pay-perview providers in the US and around the world.
Content protection is about delivering content safely, securely and according to the needs of the consumer. It is about the ability to bridge the interests of content producers and consumers with new and innovative usage models. For example, some people might like to watch content only once, others might wish to download it and burn into a disk, while another would prefer to watch periodically over the course of a month. Content protection facilitates this.
We hope this publication will be helpful to you as we continue to map out the progress of the digital transition in Asia-Pacific.