- July.28.2020 FUTURE OF CHINA’S FILM INDUSTRY BIGGER, BETTER, BRIGHTER – FORUM
- July.22.2020 MPA, TIFFCOM, and DHU are jointly sponsoring the “Master Class / Seminar & Pitching Contest 2020” for young filmmakers.
- July.17.2020 The new “No More Movie Thieves” commercial has begun showing in theaters across the country.
- June.29.2020 Light at the end of the tunnel – Southeast Asia’s Best Practice Production Webinar is happening on Friday, July 3!
- June.19.2020 The Content Overseas Distribution Association (CODA), started a new campaign to protect Japanese Anime & Manga content.
- May.22.2020 Netflix has announced a relief fund to support film and television production workers Upon establishment of this fund, which is managed by Visual Industry Promotion Organization (VIPO), Netflix is contributing approximately JPY 100 million of the Netflix support fund
MPA, TIFFCOM, and DHU are jointly sponsoring the “Master Class / Seminar & Pitching Contest 2020” for young filmmakers. July.22.2020
The Motion Picture Association (MPA), along with 33rd Tokyo International Film Festival’s accompanying market TIFFCOM, and Digital Hollywood University (referred to below as “DHU”) are hosting the “MPA/DHU/TIFFCOM Master Class / Seminar & Pitching Contest 2020” to held on November 6, 2020 (Friday).
This seminar and pitching event, which is being held for the 3rd time annually this year, was created to provide young film makers with a platform to expand overseas.
Time: November 6, 2020 (Friday), 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM (Scheduled)
Main Details: Master Class / Seminar (approximately 1 hour), and Pitching Contest (approximately 2 hours)
・Part I: Master Class / Seminar
Speaker is still TBD. We will release this information as soon as it is determined.
・Part II: Pitching Contest
Of the pitches received, five will be selected, and each of those entrants will be asked to make their pitch.
The entrant whose pitch is selected by judges from among these as the winner, will be invited to participate in the Motion Picture Association’s (MPA) five-day Film Immersion Course in L.A. (no interpreter provided).
The winner’s departure is planned for November 2021 in order to accommodate the schedule for American Film Market 2021. During this five-day trip, the winner will be immersed in the world of Hollywood, with the opportunity to meet with producers, agents, and entertainment lawyers in the Hollywood film industry. The winner will also visit studios and production sets, as well as script writer and producer guilds.
In addition, the winning pitch creator (one person) will be invited to attend to the Asia Pacific Screen Awards (travel expenses for one person included, interpreter not provided), which will be held November 2021 in Brisbane, Australia.
In the case that overseas travel is restricted, or the hosting of these events is adversely affected due to the novel coronavirus, we will provide the winner with an alternative opportunity. Thank you for your understanding.
■Details on Entering the Pitching Contest
You can use any subject matter. The preliminary judging will entail judges choosing from the synopses (max. 2,000 characters) submitted to proceed to the final round of judging – to be held the day of the event – during which slideshow presentations will be given for a duration of five minutes each. The judges on the day of the event will be professionals from the film industry. Work to create a great presentation that will make judges think, “I would love to see this as a film.” You can enter works that have already been announced, but only works for which the rights belong to the entrant. You may enter regardless of your age, or whether you are a professional or an amateur. Notification of preliminary judging results will be sent in September 2020 to the email address provided at time of entry.
September 13, 2020 (Sunday), including entries received on this date
Rights for Works:
Rights for any works entered are retained by the creator thereof. Sponsors, etc., will not seek any rights.
■How to Enter
Please use the following link to provide your address, name, age, gender, occupation, phone number, email address (not cellular phone address), and how you found out about this call for entries. Please also include your C.V. (any format), as well as a synopsis (max. 2,000 characters). Please be advised that we are not accepting applications by mail.
The “Master Class / Seminar & Pitching Contest 2020” is a part of the “Tokyo Project & Pitching Forum (TPPF)” held during TIFFCOM2020.
“TPPF” collectively refers to the following three pitching sessions included in this project.
(1) MPA/DHU/TIFFCOM Master Class / Seminar, & Pitching Contest
(2) Japanese Movie & Animation Pitching
(3) Tokyo Gap-Financing Market 2020
■Inquiries about the Seminar and Workshop
Film Workshop Executive Office
email@example.com (There will be no response on weekends or holidays.)